Monday, October 9, 2017

child hood memories when the Circus came to Qatar








This should look  like a class composition, where a visit to the Circus must have been written by every student in their English classes. Yesterday, had gone to the inaugural show of Jumbo Circus, which made me take a long look back.


..The march past with the big flags seemed very scanty, the lack of the gentle giants and the Jumbo music, made me  reflect on a holiday I had a long time ago.
It happened when Continental circus had come to Doha when we (my brother and me along with all our Indian friends) were there for our annual holidays. It was run by Rathnakaran Uncle, who passed away recently, and who was a friend of my dad. So Uncle used to come and have dinner at home and we were allowed to sit with VIPs and we had free access behind the tents. the girls were so beautifully dressed and sparkled from head to toe. The Jumbos would march in swaying their ears and happily dance to the Jumbo tune, play cricket and take a round with a dazzling young lady wearing a red saree, in it's trunk..how much we enjoyed it! Shantharam Uncle would come in lashing the whip with a sound that made us get goose pimples.He was extremely handsome and the tigers and lions gnarled and snarled but bent over to his whips and wishes...Oh what a sight. He was so friendly and showed us his mauled hands which was ripped apart by a lion..he had  barely escaped..he used to allow us to touch the lions and the tigers..the photos were a big thing to flaunt at school.I must fish them out again. I couldn't thank my stars enough when I met them in person and befriended a small girl who does the boneless act. I watched in awe as her small body performed as though she was a stretch of rubber. I befriended her and daily after her act we would spend time together and became thick friends. Uncle even gave her permission to come home one day. she had never gone to school, which at that time did not seem a big deal to me..she was a star!!  she was in awe of all the dolls I had..I parted with one which she held close. her parents too were in the circus.I roamed about from one tent to another holding her hand..she introduced me to all the artists.the lady who threw the cup and saucer while walking on a rope..she was exceptionally beautiful and she had a child too. then there was Thaappa the clown, who called out our names and gave us a wave while in the ring. then there was the knife throw..Hush Hush..the man who threw the knife had missed his aim and the knife pierced into his pregnant wife's stomach, and she had died on the spot!! I looked at him as though he was a murderer. Daily our house was filled with artists and now I think about my poor mom..how she must have struggled feeding them!!We used to visit the tents in the morning and see the tough practice sessions .my friend was very agile and finished her sessions quickly, as she was too good. When it was time for them to pack up..we saw the animals being boarded on large boats. I missed them so much..and I now wonder where that girl is..sad that time has wiped off her name even.
The juggler has arrived and boy!!and the music made me jump out of my reverie.. was n't he good? too good. the fire act and the Tanzanians were agile and swifter than monkeys ..and so funny. the costumes were great. there were no small children..as they were not supposed to be there until eighteen, when their bones will not budge...but again...without the happy Jumbos, it seems the circus had lost its soul..but felt good being there , just encouraging a waning institution..struggling to glitter and shine and rise above the constraints imposed on them..so be there ..bear the heat and dust, and enjoy..showing your support, leaving our comfort zones for some time, makes a difference somewhere...


1 comment: